3v Pay As You Go Voucher Card
What Prepaid Cards?
Prepaid Summary Review.
Date Reviewed: November 2006.
What's Good ?
Welcome to the pre-paid voucher revolution – 3V has arrived! 3V vouchers were launched in the UK in early November 2006. They allow customers to purchase a VISA voucher on the high street, and then purchase goods or services on the internet or by mail order. They run on the VISA network, so are accepted at all online retailers that accept credit and debit cards. You also don’t need to be 18 to get one, as they are available to anyone aged 16 or over.
Once you have registered on the 3V website, and received your 3V card, you can obtain prepaid VISA vouchers instantly, from any participating payzone retailer. You don’t need a bank account to get one. In fact, they are just like buying mobile top up.
What's not so good ?
3V charge a fixed fee when you pay your cash over the counter at your local payzone retailer. If you intend to only purchase small value vouchers (min £20), the fees can soon add-up. You are also charged a fee to cash-in any remaining funds that are left on an unspent voucher.
Application Process - 5 stars prepaid rating.
3V’s application process is very fast and well designed. No long delays here! You should be shopping online in no time at all:
- First you register on the 3V voucher website.
- In around 3 days, you will receive a customer identification card through the post.
- You take your customer identification card to a participating payzone retailer
- They swipe your 3V card, and you hand over your cash + pay your fee.
- They immediately print a voucher with your purchase details, which includes a VISA card number.
- You are real-time SMS’d or e-mailed the VISA card number expiry date and 3 digit card security code (CVV2)
- That’s it! You are done, and can go spend instantly online or via telephone or mail order.
Fees - 3 stars prepaid rating.
The 3V prepay vouchers can work out expensive for small value vouchers. Also make sure that you only buy vouchers that you intend using, and you will need to pay a fee to get an unspent money returned to you. However, other than the above, the 3V vouchers are very cost effective given the convenience.
Self Servicing - 3 stars prepaid rating.
Good web self service site, allows you to see exactly what you have spend, and more importantly, available credit that you have left on your prepaid card voucher.